Thursday, May 27, 2010

U2 Officially Jumps the Shark

U2, I'm afraid we need to ask you to go ahead and call it a career. The Joshua Tree is one of the all-time great albums, and there are plenty of other solid U2 songs to go around. But good God, is anyone truly paying attention to these new tunes they are slinging out there? I was driving around this past week and for some reason actually listened to I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight. In case you haven't paid attention to this gem, I need to let you know that it starts as follows:

"She's a rainbow and she loves the peaceful life
Knows I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight"



The new U2 lyricists

I'm sorry, I guess I missed the press release announcing that Smash Mouth was writing U2's lyrics these days. I'm making my way up the age chart right along with the good lads from Dublin, so I'm reluctant to give them too hard a time. Still, are they churning this nonsense out because they somehow still need to collect some cash, or do they really think that these tunes are still legitimate? Bono, perhaps it's time to focus your efforts on American Idol Gives Back or the Clinton Global Initiative. It's been a great run, but it is most definitely time to hang it up.

3 comments:

  1. this blog will be a lot better the moment you get rid of this picture of smashmouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I love a good "Jump the Shark" reference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, what are you talking about? I was trying to find a way to get their song All Star playing continuously in the background. No?

    ReplyDelete