Monday, November 1, 2010

Booooooooo!!!!!!!!

Does the title of this post refer to the sound made when one is extremely unhappy, often at a sporting event or political rally? Or could it be a reference to Halloween, the much ballyhooed holiday that has just come and gone for another year? Perhaps both are true, for if ever there was a holiday that deserved to be heckled and berated, this is surely it. Is there any holiday even remotely close to the level of annoyance that is Halloween?

I don't mind admitting that I am essentially a cranky old dude at this point, but even in my partying heyday I wasn't a fan. The initial idea of thinking up a super witty get up may be appealing, but the fun quickly fades once your mullet wig is scratching the hell out of your head and your polyester bell bottom pants are continuing their all night wedgie assault. Last year I bought what I believed was a humorous and not uncomfortable 70's one-piece jumpsuit. Only when I headed to the restroom for the first time did it dawn on me that I was facing the prospect of fully disrobing down to the knee level in order to execute an effective pee. Not good.

Not to mention the fact that there are just some disturbing sites that come with the Halloween scene. Sure you may run across a good looking cheerleader or nurse, but then you look around in the beer line and come face to face with these guys.



Okay, you may be saying, but Halloween is about the kids and good old fashioned trick or treating fun. And even though Halloween fell on a Sunday (something that the next Congress should take a long look at outlawing), I decided to get in the spirit and embrace it. And for awhile it went pretty well. I enjoyed passing out candy to the kids and seeing them having a blast. If only it had ended after that pleasant run- somewhere around 7:30pm when the time had come for holing up with a movie and ceasing human interaction. Alas, it did not. The trick or treaters kept on coming, and the average age trended decidedly higher. I'm fairly certain that I hooked up a couple of freeloaders older than me with some free Twix at one point. At about 9:30pm, after the last of the free candy had been requested and dispersed, my wife and I took our dogs out in front of the house. Only then did we realize that someone apparently felt that the two candy bars they received from us were inadequate and had helped themselves to one of our pumpkins on the way out. Classy.

2 comments:

  1. BOOOOOO to you - Halloween is one of the Holidays that always delivers, definitely one of the top holidays.

    I suggest turning off your porch light, closing your blinds next year and hiding in your basement with the lights off grumbling about kids these days. Go ahead an cancel Thanksgiving too, what the hell is there to be thankful about anyway.

    BOOOOOOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete