Thursday, November 25, 2010

Hello Savings, Goodbye Sweet Youth

I'm old. Please understand that I'm not completely delusional, and so this isn't really such a huge mental breakthrough moment for me. Still, it's a bit jarring when you have that eye opening moment when it all comes into focus for you. For me, it happened while perusing the Atlanta Journal Constitution earlier this evening. I ran across the pile of Black Friday specials and decided to dig in and see if anything looked appealing.

And then it went off the rails. Soon enough I had mapped out a day of big savings. Luggage, Christmas gifts, high powered flash lights! Bring it all on! That's when it happened. When you find yourself excitedly shouting across the room to your wife that Walgreens has a buy one, get two free special on wrapping paper, you can kiss your youth goodbye. Actually, I guess you can kiss your manhood goodbye as well.

The pile of Black Friday specials that brought news of discount televisions and my entrance into old man status.


Anyway, with that moment of catharsis out of the way, allow me to turn my attention to Black Friday in general. Don't get me wrong, I was aware of the general phenomenon. Retailers look to this day to kick off a giant holiday season and usher in profitability for the year. I thought it was a relatively limited event, though, focused on things such as electronics and appliances that one might be looking to purchase as a gift. Not so, my friends! In the market for a 9,000-lb. heavy duty wench? This Friday morning only, you can save $100. How about a 30-ton vertical log splitter? You can score the unbelievable price of $1,440 this Friday morning. Much like the one year membership in the jelly of the month club, that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year round.

I'll have to leave it at that, because I need to call it a night. Kmart opens at 5am, and the two for $11 special on batteries only lasts as long as supplies last. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok,first - being in this industry, yes: everything under the sun is on sale today, and Mon is just as big for online. That said, I was at first surprised at your excitement, because the crowds/drama/populace of it all kinda makes me want to kill myself. But I can see the alluring fiscal side. Curious to see how you fare.

    ReplyDelete