Thursday, January 20, 2011

The End of the Season and (Hopefully) a Nickname

I'd like to start this post with a hearty "thank you" to Sporting News. With one tardily delivered magazine, the fine folks behind this once-informative publication answered two questions that had been on my mind in recent days. I absentmindedly reached into the mailbox on Tuesday and pulled this gem out...



And just like that, I knew the answer to both of the following:

1) Should I renew my soon-to-expire subscription? No.

2) How did the Falcons manage to get their doors blown off by 27 points in a home playoff game? Because we have the most overrated quarterback in the league, who just happens to have the worst nickname in recent memory.

What exactly was Sporting News shooting for with this cover? Tough? Cool? Matt Ryan looks like he paid $10 bucks to get into one of those fan fest events that precede big college and pro games and then struck a pose while his mom snapped a picture of him. Good Lord dude, do you not have an agent or publicist of some sort that can review these photos before Sporting News picks one? The magazine doesn't actually show up until a week after it could possibly be relevant, so I know those guys aren't in a hurry to get it published. I understand that you have the arm strength of a QB in junior high school, but it doesn't benefit you to look like one.

And while we're at it, can we please say farewell to the Matty Ice nickname? Listening to announcers throw it around 20 times a game made me want to ram my head through the television, and I actually like the Falcons. I shudder to think what reaction it triggers in those who don't. And most importantly, it's not accurate! Yes, Matt Ryan has led some game winning drives, but he has had horrible showings more often than not in big games.

To be certain, there were other factors that contributed to the blowout that left a decidedly bad taste after an otherwise successful season. For starters, it would be nice if the Falcons took this offseason as an opportunity to sign a cornerback tall enough to ride the roller coaster without a close inspection to make sure they are taller than the cowboy's hat.

Sorry Brent Grimes, but you can still ride the Tea Cups with an adult guardian.

Now, I know what you're thinking. How can I drag the good name of Sporting News through the mud for its late arrival when I have waited five long days to relay my battered emotions via the blog? There are two reasons for the delay. First, I was traveling in Arkansas for my grandmother's 95th birthday until Monday. Then I was unavoidably detained by the opening two episodes of Season 10 of American Idol. And with that, I will now punch myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment