Monday, September 13, 2010

Facebook

Well, my wife is currently pulling a TV session that is taking the term horrendous to a whole new level. Specifically, that involves switching back and forth between the MTV Video Music Awards she recorded last night and the current episode of Bachelor Pad. It’s bad news for me, but good news for you, because D’Arcy is back on the blog. Look at that, I wrapped cockiness and a third person reference to myself into one sentence as an homage to the NFL players currently participating in a Monday Night Football game that I can’t see.

Being at the computer also allowed me to check my Facebook account, which is almost more overwhelming than I can handle. Back when I signed up for Facebook a couple of months ago, I received a number of comments expressing shock at my decision to do so. I don’t remember roaming the countryside launching into invectives against Facebook or its membership, but perhaps I’ve just tucked those episodes far away in my mind following my decision to join. I think my reluctance had more to do with the seeming nonstop nature of it rather than any superiority I felt to the website or its participants.

After a couple of months as a fringe member of the Facebook community, I’m not critical of it in general. I definitely have questions, though. First of all, how in the hell do some people post so frequently? I can’t even remember whether or not I washed my hair at the end of half of my morning showers. How do people remember to let the world know that they are headed out for a jog? Or honestly, why do you even want to? Again, I'm not critical, I just assume that people don't care whether or not I'm currently noodling over whether the barbecue I just found in the back of my fridge is too old to safely eat for lunch. Some updates read like a real-time journal of a Frank Ricard Saturday.


Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

Also, how do people deal with taking what appear to be dozens of pictures a day and posting them? My wife and I have about an 18 month stretch of our lives for which I believe there is not a single shred of photographic evidence. Yet a visit to Facebook leaves me feeling like the only person in my extended network of friends who forgot to photograph and post my half-eaten inaugural Chick-fil-A spicy chicken sandwich.

Either way, God bless you frequent Facebook posters. I say go for it. I honestly wish I was better at the whole thing. Regale us with your inspirational quotes and the results of your journeys to Publix!

6 comments:

  1. I go through phases with FB. Currently/admittedly in "active" poster status.. though I try to keep them interesting-to-some commentary vs. "I'm eating Pizza Hut for dinner" updates. As for time, it's 100% because I'm single now and work from home. And maybe a little work/industry related. But back when the above weren't the case, I was equally mystified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though isn't blogging just large-scale status updates? I try to write for a blog but feel like I don't have the time... Just sayin... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume everyone has read this study on narcissism as it relates to facebook...

    http://www.science20.com/news_releases/narcissists_can_be_identified_by_their_facebook_accounts_psychologists

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim- No, blogging is much different than status updates! Only the deepest and most socially impactful topics are covered here. True, I did dedicate an entire post to the fact that I had a Kilbeggans Irish Whiskey and Diet Big K drink one evening, but that is beside the point.

    In all seriousness, you are definitely right. The difference is that with the blog, I can force myself to focus on it two or three times a week. It's the frequent posting that overwhelms me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Key - "Nearly all of our students use Facebook, and it seems to be a normal part of people's social interactions," Campbell said. "It just turns out that narcissists are using Facebook the same way they use their other relationships – for self promotion with an emphasis on quantity of over quality."

    Craig - I hear you. For me, a witty (as deemed by me) comment will pop in my head, and I have learned my follow-through is better if I just post it in the moment to FB or Twitter. See also: I wrote every college paper at 4 am the night before it was due. Blogs feel like homework.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I try to delete my facebook page, and I do sometimes sit there with my finger on the "confirm" button like Lindsay Lohan holding the syringe for one last fix, I realize that if I delete my profile and I ever hope to be invited to class reunion or find an old friends address, I'll be forced to ask someone else I know to look it up on facebook for me. And so I keep pulling back from the brink and then I get sucked into someone's family photos or someone's interesting link to some interesting story and blam, it's like I'm hooked or something. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete