Monday, August 9, 2010

Justin Bieber

One of the things I pride myself on is that I don’t, in the normal course of my daily affairs, punch 16-year old kids in the face. It’s just one of those rules I like to live by. I think perhaps I learned it in church. Regardless, I am pondering a one-time exception to my otherwise firm principle in the case of Justin Bieber.

My feelings took a turn from general annoyance to the just discussed rage after reading that Bieber, at the age of 16, is releasing his "memoir". I love the cover that they have been so kind as to release ahead of time, though. There's nothing that annoys me more than a memoir that is only 80%-90% official. Rest easy Bieber Nation, this one is 100% official!

We love u 2, Justin

But here’s the real question- what in the hell are people in their twenties (and older) doing listening to this stuff? While out this past weekend, I actually witnessed people theoretically old enough to be receiving paychecks from corporate America voluntarily dancing to one of his tunes. After a bit of follow up research, I believe the song in question was "Baby". I do have to admit that the lyrics are quite impressive for a lad of 16...

And I'm like
Baby, baby, baby ohh
Like
Baby, baby, baby noo
Like
Baby, baby, baby ohh
Thought you'd always be mine (mine)

I suppose it's just that kind of insight into the human condition that has fans on edge awaiting the October release of the book chronicling Justin's life journey thus far. I have no doubt that the prose will be on par with the great stories of Ernest Hemingway. We can only hope that, in similar fashion, the story ends with the main character getting gored by a bull or angry marlin.

2 comments:

  1. I love how it's subtitled "First step to Forever"... I've got news for your Justin, 15 minutes is 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG.

    I've been confused by this kid from afar for a long time, solely based on his uber-punchable mug and bowl cut. I couldn't understand why he was a hearththrob, I thought the machine could have at least allowed puberty to enter the kid's zip code before they forced him on us.

    THEN, I caught him on the Today Show perfoming that assbag song. Something I never would have guessed - he's got hip-hop swagger!!! Sort of. He does all those dumb things with his hands when he sings, he's a horrible performer, and overall he's just a wannabe hip-hop dude. Think about him tapping his chest Eminem-style while you look at that picture. What in the hell is happening to our country.

    ReplyDelete