Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Bad Combination

It’s always good at the end of the weekend to be able to look back with a sense of accomplishment, a sense that you have done something of significance or broadened your knowledge base in a meaningful way. Too often I find myself on a Sunday night wishing I had made more of the weekend and feeling a bit angst-ridden over the fact that my weekend time is over.

Not this time, my friends. No, through innovation and sheer will I made a big discovery this weekend. Honestly, it just started as so many weekend nights do. I was scanning YouTube for some nice Irish clips and Mississippi State highlights. The Mississippi State sports clips aren’t all that easy to find, but I’ve honed my searching technique over time. Anyway, after returning home from dinner with friends, my wife called it an early night and left me on my own. Now everyone knows that a Saturday night session scouring YouTube is far more enjoyable with a nice beverage in hand, and this is how my big discovery came to fruition. A quick look in the fridge confirmed that an egregious oversight at Kroger a few nights earlier had resulted in a beer-less house. Further searching of the kitchen area revealed that we also lacked both decent liquor as well as normal soft drinks. I stared blankly at the kitchen cabinets for a moment or two, unsure of my next move. There was a bottle of red wine, but that just doesn’t cut it when you are watching crazy Irish fans belt out Fields of Athenry. That’s when it hit me. I did indeed have the necessary ingredients to create a nice little drink. Sure, it wasn’t anything you’d ever be able to order at a restaurant or bar, but these ingredients would surely work just as well as their more recognized competitors. And so I happily poured my drink and headed for the computer. One sip in, I knew I had stumbled upon something big. I had in my hands, the worst drink ever. Lest you ever find yourself thinking that Kilbeggan Irish Whiskey and Diet Big K might turn out alright, let me assure you it does not.

Worst combo ever

1 comment:

  1. ok, someone thinking this sounds like a good plan actually sounds like something you'd write about..

    ReplyDelete