Sunday, June 27, 2010

Taqueria swill Hole

Do any of you find yourselves boycotting various entities? I don't mean the "I'm upset about the oil spill in the Gulf and am boycotting BP" or the "I don't buy products manufactured in China due to their appalling use of forced labor from political prisoners" kind of boycott. I mean the kind where you go into a barely suppressed rage in an Atlanta Bread Company over the quantity of turkey on your sandwich in 1999 and successfully refuse to set foot in another one to this very day.

My most recent boycott is Taqueria del Sol. Simply driving past one of their locations on my way home tonight reminded me of how angry Taqueria makes me. I was trying to capture exactly what it is about this place that drives me crazy, and shockingly their website laid it out perfectly. Their home page features three reviews, and the first one includes the following line- "You know not to grab a table early or break the house rules because the system works." I'm sorry, I can't remember which of the following things I left my house hoping to accomplish:

1) Become a pledge at Omega Theta Pi
2) Enroll in military basic training
3) Enjoy a couple of tacos and a beer

Welcome to Taqueria, you may now order.

How about taking yourself a little less seriously? In case you aren't familiar with this place, the concept is that you place your order up at the register and then they bring you the food. Quality food, limited service, affordable price. I'm with you so far. But somewhere early on they seem to have added "treat people like dirt" to that list. My relatively new boycott of Taqueria is still long enough that I can't remember all the things that have disgusted me while dining there. Our last house had a Taqueria less than a mile away, so we went above and beyond to overlook the glaring deficiencies for convenience sake. Rule #1 at Taqueria is that you don't sit down until you order (no saving tables). Other places don't have to invoke this rule, because other places don't make everyone queue up and order at a single register that guarantees 30+ minute lines at all times. In addition, you can be assured that when your time to order finally arrives, if you pose any question whatsoever to the person taking your order, you will be made to feel like the jackass of the week. Another important thing to remember at this swillhole is that they do not have servers. You should most definitely not ask any employee walking in your vicinity for a napkin, more chips, or anything of the sort. One other random annoyance that I now recall is that the one by our old house was not open for lunch on Saturday. That makes sense. There's no reason the general public would expect a Mexican place with a deck to be open on Saturday afternoon. Also, I swear the place had "no cell phone" signs posted. I would go verify this, but the odds are that I would punch either a wall or the person at the register before completing my visual surveillance.

So if you happen to be from out of town and find yourself in Atlanta, please do not visit Taqueria del Sol. This city has approximately one Mexican restaurant per 50 square feet, so your options are numerous. Don't select the one that proudly displays how seriously it takes its "rules" on its web page. Gracias.

1 comment: